4th session of pinhole, racism



A very interesting day in many respects

we were at an office where working Karachiites got a chance to look into the pinhole. On the other side from Austria we were first visited by some young men who had a little too much to drink.

They introduced themselves as being from Iraq and then went on to make a lot of other unsavory remarks generally and some directed at the women who were with us.

It was funny because due to the culture difference and a little bit of delay on the audio were not picked up by the people who were with me (or they were and we all just ignored it for the sake of the fun experience)

then I got a text from one of the people working in hall in Linz apologizing for the rude gentlemen. What surprised me that while it was all going on I did not have the presence of mind to just turn off the call. It was like I was frozen in the attempt to communicate and did not realize that this particular communication was not worth it.

any way, after this a very intelligent young boy around 12 came on and proceeded to display immense amounts of knowledge not just about Pakistan and 20/20 cricket but the world in general. He was Austrian but lived in London. I asked him about racism in London schools against Pakistanis. He said it did exist but school administrations tended to take the issue very seriously resulting in suspensions. I was happy to hear that. I asked him what we should about the whole problem of racism and the young man replied that there should be a Global treaty on racism. I was very impressed and asked him to write to the UN about it!

0 comments: